The City of Philadelphia’s Office of Open Data and Digital Transformation (ODDT) is excited to announce our first design fellowship opportunity. ODDT is in search of a user experience design professional with 3 to 5 years of experience to help us with future iterations of alpha.phila.gov.
ODDT collaborates with departments, the public, and other stakeholders—employing human-centered design methods—to make City services more accessible and understandable. Chief among our initiatives is alpha.phila.gov, which is an effort to clarify the City’s main digital service channel. Alpha.phila.gov is a prototype being built in the open alongside the current phila.gov.
Help us move from alpha to beta to launch. Make meaningful impact in Philadelphia.
The user experience design fellowship opportunity is an approximately 4 to 6-month contract position with a maximum budget of $32,000. We’re hoping to either contract directly with a freelancer or contract with a firm and work with one of their full-time employees for the duration of the contract.
- Serving as a thought leader on user experience design methods and principles.
- Working with the User Experience Strategist, Lead Content Designer, and Visual/Web Designer to enhance alpha’s responsive information architecture, interaction patterns, and design.
- Visualizing UX concepts through appropriate deliverables, like site maps, wireframes, and/or prototypes.
- Clearly communicating design decisions to a multi-disciplinary team of researchers, strategists, designers, and technologists.
- Proactively planning work and executing on deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Taking and offering constructive feedback on design solutions.
- Designing and facilitating usability testing when appropriate.
- Translating user feedback into actionable and strategic design solutions.
Strong candidates will have:
- A portfolio that demonstrates excellent use of information synthesis and detailed design.
- A personal interest in and/or perspective on the intersection of social impact and design.
- The ability to grasp complicated subjects and organize them in human-centered ways.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Visual design sensibility.
- The ability to work within a self-directed culture and navigate ambiguity in a proactive manner.
- Effective methods of managing time and prioritizing work.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field to user experience design
- Three years of professional work experience in user experience design
Interested firms or freelancers should send their resume, cover letter, and portfolio to email@example.com no later than Thursday, June 23rd, 2016 at 9:00 AM Eastern. In addition, please provide a brief proposal that estimates the length of time you would be available to work with us.
Post any questions as a comment below this solicitation on bigideasphl.com so that additional information will be available for all potential submitters to review. Any questions sent via email will be directed back to the comments section on bigideasphl.com.