Over the past two years, Philadelphia Water Department’s (PWD) Public Affairs Division has developed a digital strategy focusing on the customer’s experience. A key component of the strategy is to align web properties (currently varied and disparate) through standards and toolkits. The City of Philadelphia’s Office of Open Data and Digital Transformation has begun building citywide digital standards and toolkits such as a pattern portfolio, content style guide, and web page templates. PWD would like to extend the styles and templates.
In implementing this digital strategy, PWD Public Affairs is in search of web design and development professionals to develop design patterns. These design patterns will influence the look and feel of new properties and be applied to existing, fractured properties. We are open to one candidate with design and development skills or a team of two individuals with a proven track record of working together to complete similar projects. Local candidates are preferred as co-working sessions are anticipated.
- Participate in customer discovery and design sessions
- Produce concept sketches, wireframes, and/or prototypes to revise and refine existing properties and, in some cases, define new properties
- Participate in user testing
- Implement content management systems (built in Django, WordPress, Drupal, etc.,)
- QA and deploy new web properties and applications
Strong knowledge of:
- Latest web standards and front-end development practices
- Browser and device compatibility
- Responsive design
- Design applications such as the Adobe Creative Suite or Sketch
- HTML and CSS
- Web programming languages (e.g., Python, Ruby, GO)
- User experience design best practices
- A desire to help grow a new digital team within the City’s Water Department.
- The ability to communicate well, and work successfully with a team.
- A passion for the City of Philadelphia and improving government services for residents
- Familiarity with test-driven development
- Familiarity with Jekyll or other prototyping tools
- Familiarity with GitHub
EXPECTATIONS OF WORK:
- Refinement: Deliver a pattern library and style guide that extends citywide standards (Phila.gov/ Alpha) while incorporating the unique needs of Philadelphia Water Department’s various users, brands, and styles
- New design: Design and develop a blog template and/or public campaign template based on existing requirements
- Process: Participate in Philadelphia Water Department’s digital team sprints and sprint meetings
Responses should include a proposal that outlines your project approach and all relevant experience, skills, and aptitudes including resume(s) and digital portfolio.
Please send your proposal by 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday, September 20 to:
Please post any questions as a comment below this solicitation so that additional information provided will be available for all to review. Any questions sent via email will be posted to the comment section.